ACADEMIC & ATHLETIC SUCCESS INITIATIVES
An important component of the H.A.L.L. Program is the close relationship with Academic Support for Student-Athletes. This office focuses on successfully balancing the student-athletes’ commitments to academics and athletics. With that goal in mind, they monitor classroom performance by maintaining contact with faculty, monitoring and administering study halls, facilitating advisement, and overseeing compliance with university and NCAA academic regulations.
ACADEMIC SUPPORT SERVICES
Academic Support Services also offers a variety of tutoring services for the student-athletes in both individual and group settings. There is regular drop-in tutoring between Sunday and Thursday evenings from 6:00 – 9:00 PM. The one-on-one tutoring is also available throughout the week, but student-athletes must set an appointment beforehand.
The department, directed by longtime Pirate Matt Geibel, has helped academic performance among student-athletes reach unprecedented levels. In the past year, five programs received NCAA Public Recognition Awards for outstanding multi-year Academic Progress Rates (APR), nine programs registered perfect single-year APRs and the cumulative grade-point average (GPA) for all SHU student-athletes stands at an all-time high.
Seton Hall student-athletes strive to be the best in the classroom as well as on the fields of play. We feel it is important to recognize outstanding success in those areas. The Academic Support Center helps identify our top student-athletes and nominates them for conference and national awards as well as institutional awards.
The awards that the student-athletes can earn throughout their time at Seton Hall are listed below. Presented at the SAAC Banquet are:
- Senior and Freshman Scholar-Athletes: The Senior and Freshman student-athletes with the highest cumulative GPAs in their class
- Seton Hall Academic All-Star Team: Top 10 Upperclassmen GPAs
- Those student-athletes recognized as being conference All-Academic Members
- Team Academic Awards given to the men’s and women’s teams with the highest cumulative grade point averages for the past academic year
Presented at the Pirate Blue Senior Awards Banquet are:
- Most Valuable Pirate Award – Recognizes an outstanding male or female senior who displays excellence overall as a student-athlete. Criteria for the award include, but are not limited to, athletic achievements, academic achievements and community involvement throughout his or her time at Seton Hall University.
- The men’s and women’s Senior Student-Athletes of the Year
- Academic Merit Award: Seniors with a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or higher
Seton Hall is also a member of the New Jersey Chapter of the Chi Alpha Sigma National Student-Athlete Honor Society. Juniors and seniors with a 3.4 GPA or higher are automatically inducted into Chi Alpha Sigma. Seton Hall sponsors a breakfast on campus for these student-athletes to be honored and receive their medals.