The Pirates | BIG EAST Conference | Fight Song/Alma Mater
Hall of Fame | Retired Numbers | Lasting Legacy | Former Programs
Richie Regan's name is synonymous with Seton Hall Athletics as the all-time Pirate great spent more than half a century dedicated to the SHU Department of Athletics. A star point guard for Seton Hall from 1950-1953, Regan helped guide Seton Hall to the 1953 NIT Championship and went on to play for two seasons in the NBA for the Rochester Royals. He came back to Seton Hall at first as the freshman basketball coach before taking over as the head coach of the men's basketball team in 1960. He coached for 10 seasons before moving into a number of administrative roles at the university. Regan served as the Director of Athletics and the Executive Director of the Pirate Blue Athletic Fund. He passed away on Dec. 24, 2002, and in a ceremony on Nov. 7, 2004, Seton Hall named its recreation center in his honor; the field house inside the Richie Regan Athletic Center had already been named after Richie and his late wife Sheila. During his days as the Executive Director of the Pirate Blue Athletic Fund, Regan would come to Walsh Gymnasium to watch the basketball games from the same location along the baseline. A plaque commemorating the Pirate great is now located in that same spot and a chair is placed there for every Seton Hall home game in his honor.
Reverand Thomas J. Walsh, S.T.D., J.C.D., was the fifth Bishop of Newark and a former President of the Board of Trustees at Seton Hall University. His influence was paramount in advancing a number of projects at Seton Hall in the first half of the 20th century, including raising funds to build the Immaculate Conception Seminary in 1936, the opening of WSOU in 1948, and the construction of Seton Hall's auditorium and gymnasium. Today Seton Hall's Walsh Gymnasium, which first opened in 1939, bears the namesake of one of the most influential men in Seton Hall's history and the University's library was also dedicated in his honor.
A native of Kearny, N.J., Owen T. Carroll grew up in suburban Newark and played high school baseball at Saint Benedict's Preparatory School in Newark, N.J. After attending College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, Mass., Carroll played nine seasons in the major leagues from 1925-34, suiting up for the Detroit Tigers (1925-30), New York Yankees (1930), Cincinnati Reds (1930-1932) and the Brooklyn Dodgers (1933-34). Carroll took over the Seton Hall University baseball program in 1948, and guided the Pirates to 21 winning seasons and two trips to the College World Series during the quarter century he spent in the dugout. Shortly after his retirement from coaching following the 1972 season, Seton Hall renamed the baseball field in his honor. On April 26, 1973, Seton Hall held Owen T. Carroll Day and renamed its Setonia Field Owen T. Carroll Field. The field that plays host to the Pirates' baseball and men's and women's soccer programs still bears his name today.
Mike Sheppard, Sr. spent 31 seasons as the Seton Hall University baseball skipper, recording 28 winning seasons and a 998-540-11 overall record during his time as head coach. A native of Newark, N.J., Sheppard grew up in the neighborhood surrounding Seton Hall and played baseball at Seton Hall Prep and Seton Hall University before taking over the program following Owen T. Carroll's retirement in 1972. One of the winningest baseball coaches in NCAA history, Sheppard had his No. 17 retired by the Pirates in 2004. On April 26, 2012, coincidentally on the same day that Owen T. Carroll was honored with a field being dedicated in his name 39 years earlier, the Essex County Board of Chosen Freeholders renamed the softball field at Ivy Hill Park, the home of the SHU softball team, after Mike Sheppard for his years of service in Essex County and at Seton Hall University.